President Biden’s signing of the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) marks the beginning of implementing many years of substantial change to the Medicare Part B and Part D programs.
How does the IRA impact 2023 Medicare Advantage plans (MAPD) and Prescription Drug Plans (PDP)?
- a) This means members won’t pay more than $35 for a one-month supply of each insulin product covered by their plan, no matter what cost-sharing tier it’s on, even if their plan has a deductible that hasn’t been met.
- b) While some members already benefit from plans that offer $35 insulin, this legislation ensures that all seniors who use insulin benefit from this out-of-pocket cost limit.
- c) Members receiving LIS will continue to pay the CMS statutory maximum cost share for insulin, which is less than $35.
- d) In Florida, some 2023 Aetna MAPD plans will offer select insulins for a $0 cost share at preferred pharmacies and a $20 copay at standard pharmacies. On these plans, other covered insulins will be available for the $35 IRA copay.
- e) In addition, the 2023 SmartSaver PDP (which is non-commissionable for new sales), available in all 50 states, offers covered insulin for a $10 copay at preferred pharmacies and a $20 copay at standard pharmacies.
2. It eliminates member costs and improves access for Part D vaccines.
- a) Our 2023 plans will cover most Part D vaccines for a $0 cost share, even if a plan has a deductible that hasn’t been met.
How will insulin and vaccine benefits be displayed on Medicare Plan Finder?
Beginning October 1, the Medicare Plan Finder site (www.medicare.gov) will reflect Part D sponsors’ insulin and vaccine benefits and cost sharing as they were submitted in their 2023 bid and formulary submissions, prior to IRA being enacted. However, new insulin and vaccine drug footnotes and other help features will be displayed to explain the benefit changes resulting from the IRA.Because of this, CMS is granting a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) for Exceptional Circumstances to allow beneficiaries to add, drop, or change their Part D coverage if they find a better option after the 2022 Annual Enrollment Period (AEP) and through the end of 2023. This SEP will be available for all beneficiaries who use a covered insulin product and begins on December 8th, 2022, and ends on December 31, 2023. Beneficiaries may use this SEP one time during this period. To utilize this SEP, beneficiaries must call 1-800-MEDICARE so a customer service representative can process the enrollment change; they cannot use a broker for this SEP. Consistent with current policy, when Part D enrollees change plans mid-year, their True Out-of-Pocket (TrOOP) costs carry over from one plan to the next.
What’s coming in 2024?
Additional IRA requirements that will be implemented in 2024 include:
- 1. $0 cost sharing in the catastrophic phase for Part D
- 2. Expansion of the low-income subsidy eligibility to 150% of the federal poverty line
Aetna is the brand name used for products and services provided by one or more of the Aetna group of subsidiary companies, including Aetna Life Insurance and its affiliates (Aetna).
SilverScript is a Prescription Drug Plan with a Medicare contract marketed through Aetna Medicare. Enrollment in SilverScript depends on contract renewal.
Prior to engaging in the sale of Aetna Medicare products, producers must be ready to sell, which means certified, contracted, licensed in the applicable states, and appointed by Aetna in accordance with state law. As permitted in certain states, Aetna will order appointments after the first sale. This communication is intended for use by brokers only and is not intended for distribution to Medicare beneficiaries. Any publication or distribution of this communication to unauthorized recipients without Aetna’s approval is prohibited.
You are receiving this because you have elected to communicate with Aetna through email. If you no longer wish to receive these particular messages via email, you may unsubscribe at any time.
We are located at 151 Farmington Ave, Hartford, Connecticut 06156.
©2022 Aetna Inc
Scan the QR code to get more information
Let us help you today
WE’RE AVAILABLE BY EMAIL (SUPPORT@EPROASSOCIATES.COM) OR PHONE (1-888-500-2578).